Y’all ready for some easy vegan apple pie dumplings that will make even the Paula Deen-est of “real” butter lovers squeal? You’re in luck.
It turns out, when I’m pregnant, I want all of the cinnamon. Okay, okay, I can’t even lie to y’all. While exacerbated during this pregnancy, I want all of the cinnamon all of the time anyway, especially when the temperature drops. Something about knowing the holidays are coming makes me turn to my nutmeg and cinnamon and clove (*swoon*). And then use them heavy-handedly. We’re Midwestern-Southern mutts, it’s what we do.
Over the summer, my mom made me the Pioneer Woman’s Peach Dumplings. I don’t know about y’all, but combining Crescent Rolls, sugar and Sprite is a recipe for happy bellies (and sleepy eyes) in the Republic of Ty-Land. We moved into colder weather, and I started thinking about all the fruit substitutes we could add in place of peaches. I’m thinking apples, cranberries and orange, and most certainly a pumpkin variety.
I’d also like to try a banana one come spring, but I’m afraid it would get mushy and then disintegrate in the oven.
… so like banana pudding in a Crescent Roll? GENIUS.
Shiny things and squirrels. I digress.
I love Ree as much as the next Arklahoman, but her dishes aren’t exactly vegan-friendly. Which is where I decided to come in. Substitute a fall fruit, take out some of the sugar, remove the dairy, and voila! Vegan apple dumplings. This is such an easy recipe to make your own, too. If you’d like to get creative with spices, modify some sugar, change up the fruits, whatever. The recipe is your (vegan) oyster, but beware: if you make something inspiring, I’ll need you to tag me. I have to try it.
I’d feel perfectly fine serving this at Thanksgiving, at a potluck, or in front of the TV for lunch on a rainy Thursday (what, like today? What a coincidence!).
Without further ado (but I know you guys loved my apple stories), here’s your recipe for easy vegan apple dumplings.
- 1/3 c. + 2 tbs. Earth Balance vegan butter
- 1 apple (I used a Gala Apple)
- 1 tbs. brown sugar
- Apple Pie Seasoning, liberal amounts
- 1 can Crescent Rolls
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. Sprite
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Peel, core, and cut apple into eight slices.
- Melt 2 tbs. of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add apple slices, brown sugar, and apple pie seasoning. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until apples are slightly softened.
- While apples are cooking, melt 1/3 c. butter in a small saucepan. Once melted, add 1/2 c. sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla and combine. Set aside.
- Roll seasoned apple slices in crescent rolls. Arrange in a greased baking dish.
- Top crescent rolls with the butter and sugar mixture. Top with the Sprite, then sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the tops of the crescent rolls are brown.
- Serve with coconut whipped cream or a vegan vanilla ice cream.
There ya have it! Now go and stuff yourselves!